Vegan Mofo Theme: What’s your favorite late summer food?
One of our favorite summer foods is watermelon. What better way to enjoy it than in frozen form during the last heat wave before fall? We like the little kick black pepper provides, but totally up to you for what extras you’d like to add to your granita.
- 1 mini watermelon
- 1/4 cup organic cane sugar (or other sweetener of choice)
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 lime, juiced
- fresh cracked black pepper to taste (optional if you like a little edge to your dessert)
- Scoop out the watermelon flesh into a blender, add sugar, lemon, and lime juice. Blend until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a large dish (the shallower the liquid the faster it will cool-so go big if you have the space in the freezer, I used a lasagna pan) and sprinkle black pepper across the top if using.
- Place dish in the freeze and use a fork to scrape through the ice about once every hour until the granita reaches the desired consistency. Add additional black pepper as desired. Enjoy the last remnants of summer!
-E & E